The skin care community has sung rose of coconut oil for several years, but there is a new beauty oil that strikes bathroom shelf and it is getting serious speed. We are talking about French plum oil, a very nutritious ingredient derived from seeds, or kernels, of the familiar purple fruit.
We do not say that you should forget the tried and true favorites – who loved coconut, argan, rosehip or jojoba – but we say you might want to consider adding plum oil to your current skin care.
What makes pomace oil so special
Ok … so what's the big hassle of plums when there are already a lot of different oils out there? Initially, plum oil is a rich source of antioxidants, polyphenols and fatty acids – basically a skin care trifle. It hydrates and softens, protects the skin from damage to free radicals and helps to repair existing damage. Consistent use results in skin that is healthier and a skin that is even and livelier.
If it did not sell you, you know that plum oil is considered to be eight times more powerful than argan oil and six times more powerful than marula oil. Another wonderful quality is that it is extremely easy. It quickly drops into the skin instead of leaving a heavy oily residue.
Skin types Powder oil is best suited for
Plum oil is approved and recommended for all skin types. People with sensitive skin (including those with psoriasis and eczema) will appreciate how mild it is, those who worry about signs of aging will enjoy their repetitive, strengthening and brightening abilities, and those with dry skin will love how moisturizing it is.
5 ways to use plum oil
- Apply directly to the skin – Plum oil can be applied directly to the skin after cleansing and toning. A little bit will also go a long way.
- Add your moisturizer – Add some drops of plum oil to your favorite moisturizer for an extra boost of antioxidants and hydration.
- Mix in the foundation – Add one or two drops of plum oil to your foundation for a shiny finish. Alternatively, place the drips on your Beauty Blender before mixing.
- Hydrate your nails – A small amount of plum oil makes healthier nail bits and nail beds.
- Soften your lips – After exfoliation, push the plum oil into your lips and allow it to absorb. Your lips are ridiculously soft.
Some of our favorite plum oil products
Le Prunier Plum Beauty Oil, $ 72, is a beautifully packed 100% pure plum oil. What makes this a distinctive product is that plums are harvested from the owner's hundreds of family houses in California.
Kari Gran Three Sixty Five SPF, $ 48, is a physical broad spectrum sunscreen that has been formulated with non-nano zinc oxide, plum oil and a crew of other wonderful oils, including raspberry seed, avocado and macadamia nuts.
Russel Organics French Plum Oil, $ 48, is also a 100% pure plum oil. We love that it is available at Target.
Have you tried plum oil? We want to hear all about it in the comments below.